Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Minor Meltdown and Staple Purgatory

 Becky here, with a confession.

Tears have been shed.  The first meltdown has occurred, and I was the one to break. A couple of nights ago I woke up to SSSsssSSSsssssssss and a deflated air mattress.



Emilio was in full triage mode, taking care of what needed to be done.  I was tangled in deflated mattress and blankets and sinking fast.  Still asleep, none of it made any sense and I just lost it.  Why wouldn't the house/mattress/man/dog/gods let me sleep?  Why doesn't anyone ever let me sleep?  What's happening?!?

So, I confess.  I lost my mind.  I had a complete meltdown because I woke up in the night and the bed was gone and I just wanted to go back to sleep and EVERYTHING WAS TERRIBLE.  Also, the house will probably never get finished and I will be sleeping with ugly wallpaper and no kitchen FOREVER.  And Emilio probably doesn't even care.  He probably wants me to never sleep.  He probably wants the house to stay like this forever and he never wants good things like sleep.  Ever.

Not my best moment.


BUT, my dear friend Stacey, when she heard about my tragic meltdown, offered up another air mattress.  Huzzah!  Also, she reminded me that I may have had one or two of these sleep-deprivation moments when we were roommates (bloody gnat/fruit fly jerk bugs that set off the smoke alarm and, memorably, a surprise monthly test of the nuclear power plant alarm system).  So it seems that this is a pattern.  With a bit of rest, it all seems quite funny now. Well, mostly funny.  A little bit embarrassing, too. 

So, THANK YOU, Stacey.  Thank you for the air mattress and the laugh that I so desperately needed.  And THANK YOU, Emilio, for realizing that my insanity was temporary and for offering to sleep on the floor so I could have the tiny back-up mattress.  Thank you for telling me it was all going to be OK and the house will someday be beautiful.  I know it will.  I know you aren't stabbing holes into air mattresses just to torture me.  That would be crazy.

So despite my complete meltdown, progress has been happening.

Well, I'm pretty sure progress is happening, even when it looks like destruction.

In fact, someday, possibly someday soon, I will be done pulling staples from the floors. I made some progress last night, but the task just never seems to end. I have easily spent 8 hours just pulling staples out of the wood floors.  The living room is about half-done and that is the last room.  We still have a million tack strips, but at least the staples should be gone before the weekend.

All of our feet will be safe and happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment