Monday, March 4, 2013

Gifts from the House!

When you buy an old house you hope to find neat things left by the previous owners.  Sometimes the things you find make you sad... like a horrific excuse for an electrical system and Asbestos pipe wrap.  Other times you find awesome stuff! 
When we first looked at the house I noted that there were some doors up in the garage attic.  At some point I went over and confirmed they were the Pantry door and the swinging Kitchen door that lead to the dining room. More on that later... 
The "find" if you will came about when Becky and I were standing in the basement trying to figure out where the rest of it was.  The basement isn't quite as large as the footprint of the first floor and we were trying to figure out why.  This lead Becky outside to try and figure out where that missing space was.  The next thing I heard from her was, "There are doors under the porch."  This confused me quite a bit as we weren't really missing any doors.  So outside I went to take a look.  I was presented with this..
 The side opening of the front porch with the guard thing removed. 


Doors?

And much to my surprise we were greeted with a couple old doors (or so we thought). 

 I was very happy with this find

And very surprised!
Unfortunately the other "doors" were these odd wall panel things..
 "What is this for?"
 "Whats with the edges?"
 "Another one?"

 (In Becky's voice) "Oh my!  You're sooooo strong Emilio!" 
 "More?"
 I was confused
 Then Becky thought she saw a Newell post.. and after crawling over the trophies of the neighborhood cat...discovered it was just some more junk wood tossed under there.
 She wasn't happy about being down under there... I made her wait as I took a couple pictures
 Doors!  From the left: Mystery porch door, Pantry Door, Swinging Kitchen Door

Then we headed into the garage and found this mystery thing
 Ornate corners...which broke off as we were moving it
 Drawers which were sadly empty
 We found this behind it though.  SCORE! 
 And this Wyeth Bros bottle

Both of these items will find a place in our curiosities cabinet...when we get a curiosities cabinet..
That's all for now!  Check back soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment