Friday, March 15, 2013

Closet Lights and Ceiling Fans (Oh My!)

Its funny how you think you know what you want... until you realize you have no idea what you need. 
Since we've decided to move full steam ahead with finishing the master bedroom before anything else I started looking at fixtures and hardware for the room.  This seems like a simple enough process right?  Pick a ceiling fan/light, some outlet and switch covers and that should about cover it. 
NOPE!
Lets start with something simple like closet lights.  Ok, we decided we wanted downlights so the electrician and I did a little counting and decided 12 downlights should cover all the closets in the house.  So, I pick up these nifty LED downlight fixtures that mount right into a junction box which eliminates the need for a can to mount them in which saves on cost and labor.

 At about $24 a pop the cost is lower than a downlight can and LED trim but it still adds up quickly (I try to avoid adding it all up).  Then, we needed to figure out how to get turn the lights on and off.  The easiest solution is to mount a switch either outside or inside of the closet.  I hate the idea of a light switch next to each closet but I also hate the idea of reaching into the closet to turn them on as its a bit of an awkward thing to do.  So, how about one of these door jamb switches?

Ah, that should work!  But, what if one of us leaves the door open?  Well, the light will stay on until we close it (that could be days knowing us).  So, I decided to buy this nifty controller module from Functional Devices that uses a dry contact (low voltage magnetic switches) to turn the lights on and off AND also is able to shut them off if we leave the door open for too long (this unit has a 60 minute delay).   

Source: www.gofunctionalgreen.com/

 Excellent!  Of course this also means that I had to source some Normally Open recessed switches.  I found these guys over at a company called Service Warehouse which specializes in security system install hardware.  Don't forget the long drill bit which is actually 1/16th of an inch undersized so the contact and switch can press in and be held in place by friction instead of needing an adhesive.


Source: http://www.servicewarehouse.net

Do you see how easily project A turns into project Q?  Well don't worry... it gets better!  Now we need a ceiling fan.  Well, I really want to put push button switches all over the house (where I can) as thats what the house originally had and I like the tactile feel of them.  So, because I like things to match and look uniform I set out to find a single switch that can control the fan (variable speed) and light (dimmer) while also being able to be controlled by a remote AND it has to be satin black so it stand out from all the other satin black electrical switches and outlets.  So...thats basically impossible... or at least that's what I thought until I came across this switch from Lutron.  Its a
Lutron MIR-LFQMT-MN Maestro switch if you're curious.  


 source: www.amazon.com

It's like they went inside my brain and made my dreams come true.  Mind you... I'm pretty sure this is the most expensive switch ever created but hey... its exactly what i wanted.  So now that I found the switch I really want I need to find the fan.  Well since I waxed poetic about how glorious the Hunter Hotel Orignal fan was I'm obviously going with that, right? 

NOPE!
Why not?  Well, since our ceilings are only 8ft (and change) in the upstairs bedrooms we can't have such a low hanging fan (about 26in if you're curious).  The blades, by code, are required to be at a minimum 7ft from the ground.  So, off I go to find a fan that has blades that are within 1ft of the ceiling, has a dimmable light (no cfl or led), is stylish yet not too modern or gaudy and has a manual reverse switch (requirement of the switch I selected).  After searching and searching and searching we finally settled on the Mission Fan from Quorum. 


source: www.delmarfans.com 

Now we just need to find a privacy door bolt for the bedroom door that can be opened from the outside in an emergency.  That brings me to a tip for all you new and current home owners.  Privacy locks are great for bedrooms and such but be sure (ESPECIALLY if you have elderly folks or children in the house) that you can open the doors in an emergency!  Now I know this seems counter intuitive but should someone get hurt with the door locked or become unresponsive it is important that you can open the door without needing an axe.  It could save a life one day!  That's why I advise against putting a chain or sliding bolt lock on interior doors.  Be safe!


1 comment:

  1. If I hadn't read that you actually found the fixtures that you are looking for, I'd say it's impossible to find them. The things you like are so specific that some would actually think of having them customized. But you really did find them which made it all too amazing! Haha! Well, I'm glad you did and that your house is starting to look more and more the way you envision it.
    Staci Severns

    ReplyDelete