Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Why is everything nice so expensive!?

Becky seems to think that I just pick out the most expensive thing anywhere we go and decide that I want that. The truth is that I just like well designed high quality items and it seems that the most simple item is always the most expensive... this is especially true when it comes to fixtures for the house.

Take for example a ceiling fan for the master bedroom. All I want is a nice looking fan with muted colors, real wood blades and a simple light. Hope into a big box store and you'll find ceiling fans starting at a mere $34.99 that look like this:


source: HomeDepot.com


Which is fine... if you're a slum lord and you hate your tenants and want them to look at an ugly fan that will remind them each and every day that you just don't care about them. I, on the other hand like my friends and family and think a tad more consideration to the fixtures in the house is warranted. So searching I went....and I found a couple options before falling in love with this fan:

Source: Hunterfan.com

Simple lines, schoolhouse style glass light dome, furniture grade cherry wood blades and a mechanical updraft/downdraft system because this design is from a time where reversible motors were not yet invented.

I fell in love with this fan before I knew anything about it other than what it looked like. The cost? $499 from pretty much every dealer I can find. That's roughly 14 times the cost of the first fan I showed you. I could put fans in every room of the house...heck I could put multiple fans in some rooms!

While I'm not yet set on this design considering the high cost of entry... lets just say that you shouldn't be surprised if this ends up in the master bedroom.


1 comment:

  1. While you'll never recoup the cost of nicer, more expensive fixtures in your home, the peace of mind and appreciation for having them is worth it in my opinion. The challenge is finding that happy medium between cost and quality. As long as you remain blind to name brands and focus on the quality of your fixtures, you can't go wrong no matter what you end up spending on them. Can't wait to visit your home someday, E.

    ReplyDelete