Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Sump-thing needs to be done...

I'm just not sure what.....
 


 
That is one of our sump pits.  There is a sump pump in there, the one on top is a spare... I think.  We have two of these sump pits.  The idea is that when it rains the water that may rise from under the basement slab will go to these pits via either the french drains at the perimeter or from the open drain pit at the forward wall.  This works well but as you can (kinda) see from that first picture the open drain pit which is filled with coarse gravel is filled with dirt/mud.  This isn't a problem yet but may be in the future....    
 
View from the back side of the garage
 
I started digging out some gravel to see what I was working with.... notice the large qty of mud mixed in with the gravel
 
 I removed enough material to expose the pipe through which the water flows.  This is where I kinda stopped.  We are having a masonry company swing by to quote some work on the chimney/fireplace including closing lintels that were used for the kitchen and basement wood stove and they do basement water proofing so I'll ask them what they recommend. 
 
I envision just going ahead and emptying the drain pit and placing fresh clean drainage gravel and being done with it.  We'll touch back on this when we have updates. 
 
Comments and suggestions are welcome!


No comments:

Post a Comment